Sunday, June 02, 2019

10 days in Italy on a Budget!

In this post, I will give a general introduction to my 10-day solo trip in Italy, starting and ending at Torino, where I am presently living.

Knowing that I'd be in Italy for almost 6 months, I was fairly sure that I won't visit it again anytime soon, not for tourism at least. Hence in my ten days of spring break, I decided to cover most of it.

This was my tentative itinerary: 

Day 1 Torino - Florence
Day 2 Florence
Day 3 Florence - Pisa - Florence
Day 4 Siena
Day 5 Naples
Day 6 Ercolano and Pompeii
Day 7 Capri
Day 8 Vietri sul Amare, Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento
Day 9 Baia
Day 10 Naples
Day 11 Torino

The entire trip cost me around 650 euros, including all my travel, stay, shopping, eating, etc., basically from door to door.
(However, since I was living in Italy for a couple of months already, I didn't spend a lot of money on food. I mostly carried my sandwiches and wine from supermarket, and had them in parks, squares, etc. In Naples, which was my base from Day 5 onwards, I stayed in this wonderful hostel, where I access to a full-fledged kitchen. I carried a homemade sandwich and wine for all my day trips.)

Tips and tricks for this trip:

1. Since I was covering many places, I was wary about lugging my backpack everywhere. To deal with this, I decided to base myself in Florence and Naples. That way, I had to book only two hostels and didn't have to move from place to place with all my stuff. This, in my opinion, was a very practical and convenient choice. It also saved me from pre- booking everything, especially for the places I traveled to from Naples.

2. April in Italy is mostly warm, but not always, especially since you may catch rain in parts of your trip. Luckily, I managed to get almost no rain for ten days, apart from a couple of hours in Sienna. I carried mostly dresses for my trip and one warm jacket. I had to buy a poncho in Sienna because of the rain.

3. For day trips, I kept a pair of leggings in my handbag, just in case it got cold.

4. If you're traveling alone, hostels are a pretty convenient and affordable option. I'll be posting details about my stay in the following parts.


  • 5. Absolute essentials- sunscreen, a reusable water bottle, umbrella/poncho, some cash (I managed in less than 20 euros cash).

I have further divided my ten days into several mini-trips:

> Florence in 3 days on a budget
> Florence to Pisa and back in a day
> Sienna in a day
> Naples in two days
> Naples Day Trip 1 - Ercolano and Pompeii
> Naples Day Trip 2 - Capri
> Naples Day Trip 3 - Amalfi coast
> Naples Day Trip 4 - Baia

Happy reading!
x

No comments:

Book Review - Disciples of Trikaal (✩✩✩✩✩)

Varun Sayal, I can't thank you enough for these review copies! Disciples of Trikaal is a prequel to the first book of the Time ...