Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Book Review - Tarikshir (✩✩✩✩✩)


I got the book as a part of the review program in Outset.
https://rakhijayashankar.blogspot.in


Took me a while to decide on the rating but I think I will stick to 5 because the book was, indeed, amazing!

When I read the blurb, I definitely did not anticipate what I am in for. The narration, the storyline, the execution of the plot - I loved every bit of it! And (bless the author!!) the book was edited. If you have read my previous reviews, you will know how this has been a big big big hindrance for me in the past. Congratulations on this beauty! Aapke khayaal kaafi behtereen
hain. :)

The cover: The cover design is beautiful. It is different and crisp and not screaming for attention, like sometimes cover illustrations do. The quality of the image is what makes the reader want to dive in the beauty, head first.

The blurb: I was a little disappointed with the blurb. While it is not inaccurate or lacking per se, it could have been made more exciting. The book is one hell of a roller-coaster ride and, for a reader who relies heavily on the blurb before picking up the book, the blurb does not do justice to what lies ahead. Spice it up, I'd say.

The plot: The plot is fresh and detailed. The story is, as the blurb says, of one Rudra, a newly crowned prince faced with the daunting task of saving his empire from the British army. In the process of unearthing secrets that led to his father's death/murder, Rudra uncovers some deep, dark ancient secrets that have the potential of reshaping his entire world. What follows is a nail-biting war between Rudra and dark powers, between the good and the bad, between peace and power.
There is an element of mythology in the book which gives it a unique flavour, a flavour that, in my opinion, should be introduced in the blurb as well. The fight between good and bad is age old, and placing this book contextually in the frame of Hindu mythology has rendered it a notch above your average good vs bad literature.

The execution: The plot had been executed commendably well. The author has left no stone unturned to make this book a definite page-turner. The editing is crisp and keeps the reader always on the edge, eager to know what's next. There are layers and layers to the book that keep uncovering every now and then. All the loopholes have been neatly tied the end, making this one satisfactory read.

The writing style: The author's got style (if you know what I mean). And damn, that style is thoroughly enjoyable. The imagination that the narrative is able to ignite in the reader's mind is commendable. The writing flows, along with the story, gently moving forward but still journeying like a bullet (geddit?). Oh, and the splash of humour here and there made me smile quite many times.

The characters: The characters are well-etched. The protagonist, Rudra, has been sketched fairly well, and is relatable. Burdened with the daunting task of running an entire kingdom under extreme circumstances, the young king is often faced with the same dilemmas we face in our lives. The choices may be difficult, but they still have to be made. There is a long list of supporting cast, who have been given their due place and time in the narrative.

The climax and end: The climax is exactly like it should be, unexpected yet plausible. This is not one of those "what the hell just happened?" kind of stories. Everything eventually makes sense, you just have to dig deeper.
The end is open, both in terms of interpretation and in terms of content. Maybe the end is an indication for a sequel, maybe it is a satire (that's not the most appropriate word but my vocabulary is failing me terribly in conveying what I want to say without giving any spoilers), a general remark on how the world functions. Read the book now to know more!

Definitely recommended! Looking forward to reading more by the author, and soon.


*****


Follow my reviews here.
Follow my bookstagram here.

No comments:

Book Review - Disciples of Trikaal (✩✩✩✩✩)

Varun Sayal, I can't thank you enough for these review copies! Disciples of Trikaal is a prequel to the first book of the Time ...